Alger County is located on the Southern Shore of Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula of MichiganHome of beautiful Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Alger County extends along the southern shore of Lake Superior for over 80 miles. Several hundred thousand visitors come to local attractions each year, supporting a significant year-round tourism industry. Alger County also contains a significant amount of manufacturing employment and is connected to the Midwest and Canadian markets by means of Highway M-28 and US-41, as well as by rail. Alger County’s vast forests of white pine, which brought the lumber industry to the area, have been largely replaced by hardwood forests. But the wealth of natural resources is still crucial to the local economy, supplying both raw materials for industry and scenic beauty and recreation opportunities for local and tourists alike to enjoy.
- Helpful Business Resources:
- – Munising Area Partnership for Development
- – 1st Step
- – Michigan Works
- – Northern Initiatives
- – MEDC
- – UPEDA
- The Munising area economic development effort is focused on the expansion of new and existing businesses and small industry.
- New small manufacturers are welcome at the Munising Industrial Park. Alger County’s stable economy is rooted in the area’s abundant natural resources. Lake Superior and other waterways, abundant forests and land support tourism and other industries.
- Manufacturing accounts for approximately 21 percent of the county’s total employment, paper mills and lumber have long played an important role in the economy.
- Manufacturers in the Munising area tend to be specialized and utilize state-of-the-art equipment and technology in their manufacturing processing.
- Service related jobs account for 24 percent of the Alger County area’s labor market. Large employers in this sector include Christmas Kewadin Casino which employs over 100 employees, Munising Memorial Hospital which employees 95 employees and Tendercare Health Center which employees 75. The Munising School District employs 140 teachers, administrators and support staff.
- Alger County’s pristine beauty and year-round recreational opportunities are nurturing the growth of what has become the country’s second largest and fastest growing industry: tourism.
The Munising area offers business opportunities to start your new business